The area containing today's city of Lawrenceburg began to be settled late in the 1700s by westward-moving settlers using flatboats on the Ohio River. The river played a major role in the early development of the city prior to the 1820s when other means of travel began to develop such as a road, railroad and a canal.
These early settlers were mostly American-born families from eastern states such as Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia, later to be joined after the 1820s by an influx of European immigrants from Germany and Ireland. This wave of immigration was a major source of settlers along the Ohio River as the forests, hills and rich soils reminded the newcomers of similar lands back in Europe.
Becoming the Dearborn County Seat
By 1803 Lawrenceburg had attained enough status among the local communities to become the Dearborn county seat. Today's Dearborn County Courthouse was constructed in the years 1870 and 1871. Two other courthouses preceded the current structure. The building is a beautiful example of neo-classical architecture which was a popular style throughout 19th century America.
A Walk Through Time
For a thorough and highly interesting reading tour of Lawrenceburg's beautiful historical district and its architectural features, please read "A Walk Through Time (PDF)" as presented by Lawrenceburg Main Street and co-authored by Ms. Chris McHenry.
Lawrenceburg was lightly affected by the Civil War when 2000 Confederate raiders under the command of Colonel John Hunt Morgan passed just north of the city on the most notorious raid into the north en route to threaten Cincinnati.
Our city is proud of its many hundreds of veterans who, over the years have sacrificed their well-being and lives in every branch of service and in every war in which the U.S. has been engaged.